Thursday, July 8, 2010

from: Wendi B.
to: tiangotlost@gmail.com
date: Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 3:42 PM
subject: Tattoo

Hello, I found your blog randomly through "stumbling" and thought I'd toss my tattoo your way. When I got it I thought it meant "calmness" (out of a book at at tattoo parlor I worked for when I was young and dumb).

A few months later, a Japanese exchange student came in and told me it meant "lonely." So I just thought it would be interesting to see if you concur. Sorry it's a little blurry (also the artist used a tattooing method to make it look "brushed on"...and it's old at this point).


Thanks,
Wendi

tat 001

寂 has multiple meanings when it is used alone. When read as Chinese, it can be interpreted as "solitary". However if it is read as Japanese, it would mean "lonely".

1 comment:

  1. In Japanese, 寂しい (sabishii) with the kana ending しい (shii) is an adjective that does mean "lonely" or "sad."

    However, the character 寂 alone is read "sabi."

    Sabi is said to be one of the defining characteristics of traditional Japanese artistic sensibility and can mean various things such as quiet simplicity, a patina on metal or beauty acquired through age.

    This is actually a pretty cool tattoo and the tattooist may have even intentionally blurred the edges of the character to give it a sort of "aged" sabi look.

    ReplyDelete