Wednesday, April 5, 2006

"Joe"

In Joe’s email, along with the photo, he says:

“After seeing your site I probably would be happier if I remained ignorant, but I have to know - what does my tattoo say? It was supposed to say, ‘Joe’.

My only defense in getting this tattoo, about 10 years ago, which I could not read, I was young and stupid.”



The three character tattooed are nowhere near “Joe”.

The two outer characters and are recognizable, but the center character is difficult to distinguish.

Typically, is the Chinese phonetical transliteration for “Joe”, and in Japanese kanji.


11 comments:

  1. Maybe some sort of maimed 及?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is it with people tattooing their own names on their body anyway? English, Chinese, or whatever other language, aren't you supposed to get a tattoo of your girlfriend or mother's name?

    ReplyDelete
  3. uh.. at least he's willing to know..?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If he's a drinker, wouldn't 酒 be more appropriate for "Joe"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. 酒 ... I wish my name was Joe now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is almost definitely 廴mixed up with 辶 ; i.e., keeping the distinct "3" shaped zigzag in yin, with the lower stroke crossing, but with the added stroke on the top. I've seen chuo done that way before. Obviously, the proportions are all wrong..... but "chuo" does sound kinda like "joe." Kinda.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like the "ohm" character in buddist mantras.... maybe as an intermedium to join the 術 and 功

    ReplyDelete
  8. tis is obviously "direct" translation of the alphabet on the top left hand corner of the chinese characters shown on ur home page!! so it was actually "術" "辶" "功"

    seems like the chart is a template for all tattoo parlors in US??

    ReplyDelete