Tuesday, May 17, 2005
$320 Pair of "Self-Suspicion"
Reader Bruce Spragg emails about a new line of Nike sneakers for Lebron James. This particular pair shown above is $320, and that is cheap! Since there were only 300 pairs of these made, sneaker pimps are selling them on eBay for as high as $9,000 according to news report (video).
So what do these four Chinese characters say on these "overpriced-toe-fungus-traps"?
自我 = self; myself
懷疑 = to doubt; to suspect; doubt; suspicion
The phrase means "self-suspicion" or "self-doubt". What a great way for Nike to rub "buyers' remorse" in these sneaker fans' faces and their empty wallets (except the sneaker pimps).
I am somewhat inspired by the latest trend of exclusive customized sneakers, Adidas has its Original Series, Puma has its Mongolian Shoe BBQ, and Nike has its NikeID, what about Hanzi Smatter?
Don't you worry, I have got that covered.
Presenting the HS Sneaker:
1. Buy a pair of sneaker of your choice
2. Download and print out the Hanzi stencils provided here:
3. Paste the stencil onto a piece of cardboard backing
4. Trim out the black part of the characters
5. Place the stencil along with the cardboard backing onto any surface or the sneaker
6. Use color marker(s) and smear over the stencil, thus the design will be left on the sneaker
Congratulations, you are now a proud owner of HS Sneaker!